22 January 2022

Aaj na rutho mose Shyaama

Many years ago, I heard a beautiful composition in Raga Manjh Khamaj by Niladri Kumar titled "Love in Air". At the time (and perhaps even now), I was clueless about Indian classical music and the distinctiveness of a Raga didn't quite matter.

Some time later, I heard a lovely bhajan called "Janaki Nath Sahay" by Harini Rao. It was only recently that the Internet informed me that this bhajan was also (possibly) set in Raga Manjh Khamaj.

Last year, Niladri Kumar came out with a new album and one of the tracks was titled "Desire". My wife tells me that the aalap of any composition is the give away of the Raga. When I heard "Desire", I was immediately reminded of "Love in Air" and lo and behold, this too was set in Raga Manjh Khamaj

As you can see, consciously or unconsciously, I like Raga Manjh Khamaj. So, I went about listening to other compositions set in this Raga. That's when I came across Anoushka Shankar's composition called 'Celebration'. I remember listening to the track and trying to fit words to the notes. It was, as if, the words were at the tip of my tongue, waiting for my heart to speak. I heard the composition several times and yet the words never truly fit.

Then, the other day, when I was out for a walk (which is when my writing capabilities are at their highest), I heard another composition called "Ab Na Bolo Mosey Sham" set in Raga Manjh Khamaj melodiously sung by Lakshmi Shankar (who happens to be Anoushka Shankar's aunt). The words of this composition inspired me to finally write the words to Anoushka Shankar's composition. 

According to me, the words fit till about the first 2 minutes of Anoushka Shankar's composition. I think the composition would qualify as a Thumri. A Thumri is a romantic composition. Raga Manjh Khamaj also evokes romantic feelings. Whatever it is, it is. I think this is the first time that I have written a song. And so I am sharing these here. Better to read my words than to hear me sing. Here goes:

आज ना रूठो मोसे श्याम

आज ना रूठो मोसे श्याम (*३)
भूल हो गई मोसे, बिनती करत तोसे
अब ना सताओ, बात सुन भी लो ना

रुको ना
देखो ना
सुनो ना
बोलो ना

दूर अब मोसे तुम जाओ ना
आज ना रूठो मोसे श्याम (*३)

Today don't be upset with me Shyaama (*3)
I made a mistake, I plead with you
Don't trouble be now, just listen to me

Please stay
Please look
Please listen
Please speak

Don't go away from me now!
Today don't be upset with me Shyaama (*3)

Of course, all of this would not have been possible without the musical talents of my wife. One of my habits is to send her a song and ask her the Raga. She is kind enough to always respond. But due to the lack of my own musical abilities, I never know if she is messing with me. If anything is wrong here, the fault is mine and not hers. After all, it is always the husband's fault!

I think it would wise to sing this to her now.

Thanks for reading!


Gopika Geetam by Keshav
https://krishnafortoday.com/#/art-details/697

1 comment:

moksh said...

What an apt picture! Beautifully expressed. 😊