30 August 2021

A Birthday Playlist

Those close to me know that Janamasthmi is special to me. This blog has seen multiple posts on the occasion of Janamasthmi. In 2011, I even described it as the best day of my life. In 2015, I wrote about various writings on Bhagwan Shri Krishna.

So what do I have to offer in 2021? This year, I have curated a playlist of my favourite Shri Krishna bhajans. I cannot sing for you, but I can certainly share good compositions with you. I wish I could sing beautifully for God. I am somewhat lethargically pretending to learn. Maybe one day I will manage to sing.

Until then, in no particular order:

  1. Madhurashtakam by Dr. Subhadra Desai sung in a Raga Maala i.e.: the Raga changes after 2 verses. The rendering of the fifth and sixth verses in Raga Yaman are my favourite.
  2. Jamuna Kinaare Mora Gaon by Pt. Mukul Shivputra. I love the part when it says - मली मली के स्नान कराओं
  3. Kaun Gali Gayo Shyam by Dr. Prabha Atre. I have heard this countless times and even today when I hear it, I can intensely feel the longing for Krishna.
  4. Krishna Nee Begane by Aruna Sairam. This bhajan is in Kannada. This rendition was apparently sung live at India Gate. It have heard it so many times that I have started to pick up the Kannada!
  5. Mharo Pranam by Kishori Amonkar. This is a classic. Meera's love for Krishna is unparalleled. We shy away from making the smallest sacrifices for God, and here was Meera, who sacrificed everything!
  6. Govind Damodar Madhaveti by Pt. Jasraj. Sometimes when I want to feel enthused with energy, I play this on my way to work. It's so powerful!
  7. Aage Krishna Paachhe Krishna by Mokshi Sethi. Everywhere I see, there is Krishna - what an amazing feeling. Close your eyes and imagine there is Krishna in front of you and see how your heart reacts. Now, think if He was everywhere you looked.
  8. Om Namo Bhagavate by Pt. Sanjeev Abhyankar. I have had the good fortune of hearing this live. It was surreal - almost trance like. The rare times when you are totally lost in the music.
  9. Bhaja Govindam by M.S. Subbulakshmi. I am true Vedanti and so this has to feature here. You have seen Bhaja Govindam references innumerable times. Bhaja Govindam! Bhaja Govindam!
  10. Mana Mohan Shyam by Dr. Ashwini Bhide Deshpande. I heard this only last week and it instantly became special to me. Ashwini ji has such a unique way of singing.
  11. Manmohan Man Mein Ho Tumhi by Mohd. Rafi and Suman Kalyanpur. I came across this when listening to the radio. Sometimes radio really surprises you. What an incredible find!
I hope you like these. Here is the link to the entire playlist.

May Krishna always be with you.

No comments: