15 February 2009

I don't know.




I am 17 ½ years old. I am single. I have to carve out my life, a niche in the world. Well that’s nothing new. I am not very passionate about global warming, child labor, poverty or any of that. I don’t know what to do.


I have graduated from school and all that’s left are a bunch of exams which they over hype because after all, from parents to nannies to the Education Board, who doesn’t like to scare the hell out of children.


To say that I am not scared, I’d be lying. These would be the most important exams of my life and it is a make or break issue and to mess it up would be the worst career move.
But what career am I talking about? I don’t even know what I have study tomorrow what can I say about what I have to do all my life? And trust me I have had career counseling.


I may not miss the school as a whole. But maybe its parts, friends, teachers-good and bad, the awesome-ness of being cool in are own way and the inevitable teenage politics and rivalry. Some people say children are too young and too clean to hate, but I believe that this world is too rude, to an extent that it forced a teenager, to develop so much hatred in him that he held a revolver and shot at his Bully. I can never do that, but you never know, man is nothing but a product of circumstances.


Crime and Punishment are two very difficult concepts. Probably that’s what forced Dostoevsky to write a novel by that title. Is a criminal inhuman? Is it his fault that he does what he does or is it the Divine Hand? Or is Karma? Destiny? Life? Is punishment a way of reforming the criminal or the society? Are human rights meant for criminals? Is punishment necessary or do we need a greater level of tolerance? Who is our biggest threat?


Too many questions for a 17 ½ year old. I don’t know, neither the answers nor why all this revolves in my head. Life is cruel. Life can be ended. But that’s running away. Again, the world has become bad enough that we need to liberate our souls or more like finish our pain filled existence.

I am not pessimistic. I am just worried, tensed, scared and a lot more. I just hope for the best-for my friends, my family, my brother, and my readers and eventually for the other 6 billion plus people that inhabit this world. People are born and people die, and in between they breathe the pain of life. Many have done it and we need to too. Solution—Everything is going to be fine, just deal with it. Use the heart, head, whatever. Just go on.

Image-- http://images.elfwood.com/art/z/a/zambonet/confused.jpg


PS: It's been more than a year. Thanks.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will get a tattoo like the image.

Anonymous said...

hey rohan...tht wuz very well ritten yaar..tho wt do u mean by its been more than a yr?

Rohan Chawla said...

@Anon
Go ahead. It's not my artwork

@ Vasudha
Thanks. It was Happy Birthday for this blog in Jan. So more than a year old...

Vasudha said...

oh..happy b'day 2 d blog. vaise it seems lyk way more than a yr 2 me

ss said...

rohan
check my blog, u r tagged. do takr up the tag. its a lot of fun